Saturday 20 June 2009

What For? For Whom....

(This painting, oil on canvas, "Potrait" was done by me in 2003, during my stay in Jakarta, Indonesia. The painting beautifully depicts the spectrum of energy, and i thought this would be very apt for my poem below)

What For? For Whom...

I can see the twilight up in the sky.
Seems yet another day has begun.
And yet another night has gone,
With no sleep in my eye.

Everyday, I start with a new ray of hope.
Hope to see a new horizon, a canvas of my dreams;
I subsist everyday, while I see me in despair each moment.
But everyday is same and the nights too are indifferent.

My mind overworked, my body drained.
I recline and laze, wide awake,
But what for? I am uncertain.
For whom? I am unsure.

I realize, I need to break free from the life I endure.
I am aware, I am being pushed along with the tide.
But unable to break free from the ongoing drift.
Helpless, I am unable to change.

This is not me, I realize, this is not my soul.
I need to change, before time takes the toll.
I need to be freed from the shackles of ordinary,
And become that person I have always longed for.

Express myself in every way, touch life in a positive way.
Conquer my dreams and realize the possibility.
Leave my mark on humanity,
Before I fade away in the oceans of time.

Then perhaps, I may fall asleep.
And then yes, I can put my mind to rest.
With my soul intact and my body reclaimed,
I would be certain;
For what I lived and for whom I was needed.